A close view of the fourth stage of PSLV - C40 on the launch pad before takeoff
The heat shield in the previous PSLV - C39 mission did not separate from the fourth stage and both the stage and the IRNSS-1H satellite got trapped within the heat shield and could not be injected into space. However, the PSLV - C39 rocket comprising of both solid and liquid fueled stages performed flawlessly.
After the lull of over four months due to a minor failure of the PSLV - C39 rocket, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched with the upgraded version of the PSLV rocket a total of 31 satellites, including the Cartosat-2 series satellite, at one go on Friday at 9.29 am from Sriharikota.
The 28-hour countdown for the PSLV - C40 launch mission had begun on Thursday morning at 5.29 am.
Following the surprising failure of PSLV rocket in two decades on August 31 last year, ISRO has appointed a committee headed by K.Sivan, Director, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (now Chairman designate) to ascertain the reasons for the failure of the mission.”We have identified that vertical jettisoning system did not function in the fourth stage as the pressure did not build at the cavity for the separation. After rectifying the issue we have conducted simulation tests on the upgraded vehicle. Now we are back in the game”, he said.
The heat shield in the PSLV-C39 rocket did not separate from the fourth stage and both the stage and the IRNSS-1H satellite caught in the heat shield. The success of the PSLV-C40 vehicle is critical as ISRO which is planning to carry out 10 to 12 missions this year.
- Newgen Software IPO progresses slowly, subscribed 5%
- Sisters steal baby boy to stop father from remarrying
- Quality Health is trending at 10 in India
- iVOOMi i1 Sale is trending at 9 in India
- #PravinTogadia is trending at 8 in India
- Colin de Grandhomme is trending at 7 in India
- ICC Code of Conduct is trending at 6 in India
- #BreatheTrailer is trending at 5 in India
- #tphoneP is trending at 4 in India
- #PatanjaliOnline is trending at 3 in India
- #HappyBirthdaySidharthMalhotra is trending at 2 in India
- Barmer is trending at 1 in India
- Extremely rare 'firework' jelly fish spotted near Mexico
- Beautiful snow sculptures from around the world
- World's fifth largest diamond discovered in Lesotho
- Museums of unusual things around the world
- Chinese 'rainbow dinosaur' had iridescent feathers
- These are the most talented dogs on the internet
- Enjoying the high life, up on the roof in Tel Aviv
- Le smartphone? France has another term in mind