10 Modern Torture Chambers

  • Published in World
10 Modern Torture Chambers10 Modern Torture Chambers

Think torture is a relic of the Dark Ages? Think again. Torture for sadistic gratification, information extraction, and punishment is intimately woven into the human experience. Even today, horrific acts of torture occur every day in all corners of the globe. Due to the unseemly elements and tools required, torture is often conducted in specially

Read more...

Red Fort terror attack accused arrested after 18 years

In a major counter-terrorism operation, Delhi Police and Gujarat ATS have arrested a man, suspected to be involved in the 2000 Red Fort attack from Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA). It has been learnt that Gujarat Anti-Terrorism Squad informed the Delhi Police that one Bilal Ahmed Kawa, who had been declared a proclaimed offender in the case, was travelling from Srinagar to Delhi, they said.

Kawa, who was suspected to be linked to Lashkar-e-Toiba, was arrested in the evening from the T-3 terminal of the Delhi Airport and his questioning is underway, the police said. Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) P S Kushwah said Kawa was arrested around 6 pm.

Another officer said that money to the tune of Rs 29. 50 lakh was transferred through hawala in various bank accounts, including those of Kawa, to fund the attack.

Kawa was on the run since 2000 and was hiding in Kashmir, the police said. Three people, including two Army jawans, were killed in the December 22, 2000 Red Fort attack.

On December 22, 2000, three Indian Army personnel were killed in indiscriminate firing at Red Fort. While at least 11 people ? including mastermind Mohammad Arif from Pakistan? s Abbottabad ? have been convicted in the case, Kawa was absconding.

DCP (Special Cell) P S Kushwaha said the arrest was made by a joint team of Gujarat Anti-Terror Squad and Delhi Police? s Special Cell. Police sources said the Gujarat ATS received a tip-off that Kawa would be on a flight to Delhi. On the basis of the information, the joint team nabbed him from the airport just after he landed.

During interrogation, Kawa reportedly told police that over the last 18 years, he changed his location frequently but had been living in Kashmir for the time being. Sources said he was on his way to meet his brother in Delhi.

Kushwaha, however, said they are yet to verify his claims.

During investigation into the 2000 attack, Delhi Police had found that Rs 29. 5 lakh was allegedly transferred to Kawa? s bank account.

Investigation had also revealed that Arif had deposited the money ? allegedly used in funding the Red Fort attack and was also sent to Kashmir for militancy ? in his account.

Police said Arif used to send the money through an account he had opened at a private bank branch in Connaught Place in July 2000. Police said the money was transferred to Kawa? s account between July and November, 2000.

Don't miss out!

Read more...

Modric pays 1 million euros over tax fraud

Modric pays 1 million euros over tax fraud

Prosecutors believe the Croatian evaded 870,728 euros ($1. 04 million) on revenue from his image rights in 2013 and 2014 via a shell company set up in Luxembourg.

On Tuesday, he gave a court in Alcobendas near Madrid, which is in charge of his case, evidence that he paid tax authorities close to one million euros on January 4 -- the sum he allegedly evaded plus interest.

The 32-year-old Croat, who joined Madrid from Tottenham Hotspur for a reported fee of £30 million ($40. 5 million) in 2012, paid the money "voluntarily," the judicial source, who refused to be named, told AFP.

Judicial authorities are still investing financial holdings belonging to the player in the Isle of Man, on which Modric refused to comment in court.

Modric is just the latest in a series of star players based in Spain to be accused of tax fraud on income related to image rights in the past few years.

In November, Madrid left-back Marcelo admitted to a 490,917 euro tax fraud via his image rights in 2013.

Real Madrid's all-time leading scorer Cristiano Ronaldo appeared in court in July over accusations he evaded 14. 7 million euros worth of tax between 2011 and 2014.

Barcelona duo Lionel Messi and Javier Mascherano received 21-month and one-year suspended sentences respectively after being found guilty of tax fraud over their image rights in 2016.

However, five-time World Player of the Year Messi's sentence was later replaced by a 252,000 euro fine.

Read more...

Graft: Court irked over Khaleda’s lateness

Graft: Court irked over Khaleda’s lateness

Khaleda’s lawyers cited traffic as the reason for lateness when the former premier appeared around 12:00noon. Judge MdAkhteruzzaman of the Special Judge Court-5 dismissed the cause and requested Khaleda to appear before court on time from henceforth.

Meanwhile, today during hearing, Khaleda’s lawyers filed an application before the court alleging that six of the prosecution team fabricated materials and testimonials to materialise the case.

They appealed before the court to take legal steps against the six – which include Investigation Officer Harun-or-Rashid and state witness Jaglul Pasha.

The ACC filed Zia Orphanage Trust graft case on July 3, 2008 with Ramna police accusing Khaleda, her elder son Tarique Rahman and four others of misappropriating over Tk 2. 1 crore that was received as grants for orphans via a foreign bank.

Read more...

Snow falls in Sahara desert

  • Published in World

On the usually sun-kissed sand dunes of the Sahara desert, a rare blanket of snow allowed Algerians the chance to try out some icy sliding.

With temperatures touching 1 degree Celsius (33. 8 Fahrenheit), residents in the northern Algerian town of Ain Sefra enjoyed sliding down the small sections of dunes on Sunday morning before the snow melted away.

Ain Sefra is known as the gateway to the Sahara desert, where temperatures regularly reach 35 degrees Celsius in July and August.

Freezing conditions, however, are not uncommon in the area which lies between the desert and the Atlas mountains. Snow also fell in the region in December, 2016 for the first time in many years.

Read more...

Police officer sacked 'for going for a kebab while on duty'

A police officer accused of going missing on duty and eating a kebab while his concerned colleagues searched for him has been sacked following a misconduct hearing.

Pc Richard Musgrave, 52, was dismissed without notice from Cambridgeshire Police.

A four-day misconduct hearing in Peterborough concluded that he had breached professional standards in respect of honesty and integrity, discreditable conduct and duties and responsibilities.

It had been alleged that Pc Musgrave went missing from March police station to give a woman and her friends a lift, then drove to an industrial estate to eat a kebab.

Officers triggered an emergency search for him as they were concerned for his welfare.

Pc Musgrave claimed he had been on a burglary patrol on the industrial estate, his watch had stopped, his ear piece had come out of his radio and his mobile phone was on silent.

He allegedly later “dishonestly told the sergeant that he had gone to the industrial estate to finish writing a statement and had fallen asleep there”.

The incident was said to have happened on July 31 2016.

Read more...

Top DMP officer withdrawn for ‘marrying forcefully’

Top DMP officer withdrawn for ‘marrying forcefully’

DMP Additional Commissioner Mizanur Rahman has been attached to police headquarters, Assistant Inspector General Soheli Ferdaus told The Daily Star.

Officer Mizan allegedly picked up one Morium Akter Eko from her Panthapath residence on July 15 last year and married her.

Morium alleged that she was framed in a false case in which she had been in jail for three weeks. She received bail a week ago.

She became acquainted with the police official through one of his friends and gradually developed a good rapport with him.

At one stage, Mizanur started making “indecent proposals” to her. July 15, he said he wanted to apologise for his misdeeds. On the day, in the name of talking, Mizanur took her to the  “300 feet road” area where he tortured her, Morium alleged.

Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan yesterday said that a probe committee will be formed to investigate into the allegations against him.

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed